Monday 20 February 2012

"The power of prayer has never been tried to its full capacity. If we want to see mighty wonders of divine power and grace wrought in the place of weakness, failure and disappointment, let us answer God's standing challenge, "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things which thou knowest not!'" (J. Hudson Taylor) Great Missionary and founder of the China Inland Mission.

The primary focus of this DCM newsletter is prayer. In January I took three days to visit Ffald –Y-Brenin (http://www.ffald-y-brenin.org/ ) A retreat centre in West Wales following reading “The Grace outpouring” by Roy Godwin it’s author and centre director. Whilst I was there I had several profound encounters with the Holy Spirit. By the end of my stay I was being drawn by the Lord to spend longer and longer with Him in prayer. My time there had a great effect on me.

The day I left I travelled home via the Blaenannerich Chapel the place where the fire of the Holy Spirit fell upon Evan Roberts and the Welsh revival was born seeing 100,000 souls swept into the Kingdom of God. I remember sitting in the seat where he was touched by the Holy Spirit and said to the Lord in my heart “Bend me also Lord …and make me a man of prayer”

I am convinced that the Lord Jesus wants to do a great work in this City. As I walk the streets of Normanton and Osmaston and pray for the homes and the people in them. I can sense the tug of the Holy Spirit saying “call on me for these people” “ Stand in the gap for the poor, the drug addict, the alcoholic, the person in the prison of debt, the young, the harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd” “Call on me….. to Revive my church in this City”

The great AT Pierson wrote these words There has never been a spiritual awakening in any country or locality that did not begin in united prayer.”

So this year of 2012 we are seeking to increase the prayer life and frequency of Derby City Mission. This lent we are embarking on 40 days of prayer and fasting for DCM. Would you like to join us in this?

So I am asking you, would you begin to daily call on the Lord for Derby, its church and the work of the Mission in a more earnest way? And would you join us whether in person, or at home or work every first Monday of the month to pray and fast for the work of DCM. Or perhaps join us every Friday in praying the prayer of blessing on the prayer guide for Derby.

Whatever I am convinced this is a time like never before to pray and seek the Lord … this city and this nation needs a fresh visitation of Him ……

Alasdair

No comments:

Post a Comment